“When you’re dancing, you’re in your own world. Nothing else matters. All worries, frustrations, and stresses are put on hold.”
Dance to joyful music for health, happiness, fun, fitness and sociability
with Reading St Andrew’s Scottish Dancing Society at St Andrew’s United Reformed Church hall, London Road, Reading RG1 5BD.
We are a friendly group, keen to share this wonderful activity with new members, including those who already have experience of Scottish Country Dancing and those who are new to it. If you’ve never done it before but have previous experience of dance (ballet, Irish, country, ballroom, etc.), you are likely to pick up the steps and formations quickly. For the dancing novice, there are plenty of more experienced people to help and, with some initial commitment and lots of enthusiasm, the rewards are huge, but please email us for more information before attending a class.
Read more about Scottish Country Dancing.
- Fun for all ages and abilities.
- No need to come with a partner.
- Friendly, sociable groups.
- Excellent for physical and mental health. Read more.
- Uplifting music, usually recorded for classes but with live bands for regular special events.
- If you don’t have dancing shoes, any flat, soft shoes are fine to start with. Men don’t need to wear a kilt – just any comfortable clothing.
- You don’t need to be Scottish!
- Our General (Mixed Ability) and Advanced Classes in Reading blend technique practice and social dancing.
As well as weekly classes/social dancing, we also hold a formal Annual Ball and two dances, all with live music. We have a Christmas Party, a Burns’ Supper and a Summer BBQ.